Entries are now being accepted for the tenth anniversary of the Cap Classique Challenge. The objective of this annual award, co-sponsored by Amorim Cork, is to help foster the development and progress of South Africa's finest bottle-fermented sparkling wines en route to becoming world-class benchmarks. Wine magazine and Amorim Cork aim to help promote the finest examples of sparkling wines made according to the traditional method and hereby extend an invitation to your cellar to participate in the Challenge.
Rules of the Competition
1. Entry is not limited to members of the Cap Classique (Producers) Association, and entry submissions may be of any variety, or any combination of different varieties, provided that they are bottle-fermented and qualify as Cap Classique.
2. The residual sugar level of the wines may not exceed 15 grams per litre.
3. Wooded and unwooded wines are eligible.
4. Entries may be from the blends of various vintages – vintage dated or non-vintage (NV) wines.
5. Wines must be in market-ready condition – riddling and disgorgement already completed, corks in place.
6. At least 50 cases of 12×750ml bottles (or equivalent) of each wine entered must be available for sale locally from mid-September 2011, i.e. immediately after the results of this year’s Cap Classique Challenge are announced in the October 2011 issue of Wine magazine – so that wine lovers will be able to purchase some of the wines ex-cellar or from retail wine shops in South Africa.
7. Four bottles (750ml or larger) of each wine entered must be submitted to Wine magazine for assessment and rating purposes – together with at least two loose labels in respect of each entry for publication purposes.
8. Entrants should complete and submit an entry form (see attached) or copy thereof together with the entry fee* (or proof of payment) to Wine magazine, Uitvlugt, 3 Howard Drive, Pinelands in respect of each wine entered – entry forms to be signed by the winemaker or proprietor of the winery/négociant/brand owner. Complete entry kit to accompany the wine – no faxed or emailed copies will be accepted.
9. The entry fee to enter the 2011 Cap Classique Challenge is R375 (incl VAT) per wine. Cheques to be made payable to Wine magazine. Banking details for direct deposits: Wine magazine, Reference Name of Winery, Standard Bank Pinelands, Account Number 073051209, Branch Code 036309. (If an invoice is required, this should be requested via e-mail with your VAT number before entering a wine in the competition).
10. The producer of the winning wine must be willing and able to supply five 12-bottle cases (or equivalent volume) thereof to WINE magazine at no charge for promotional purposes, such as at the prize-giving function.
Closing date for COMPLETE entries: Friday 15 July 2011
Tagged Entry Kit