Winemag.co.za | SA Wine Ratings, News, Opinion & Analysis

Darling Cellars Cinful Cinsault 2014

Darling Cellars Cinful Cinsault 2014

Devilishly good.

With the likes of Chris Alheit, Adi Badenhorst and Eben Sadie making single-variety versions of Cinsaut, the variety has never been hipper. These wines are hard to come by but you’ll find Cinful Cinsault 2014 from Darling Cellars just about anywhere (approximate retail price: R60) and it’s delicious.

On the nose, a hint of reduction before red cherry, strawberry and scrub. The palate, meanwhile, is fresh and fruity with lemon-like acidity and fine tannins. The finish is gently savoury, if not super-long. Ship it in.

#WinemagRating: 88/100.

Find our South African wine ratings database here.

Tagged , ,

1. BernardJune 2, 2016 at 8:35 pmReply

Hi Christiaan
    Apologies for entering discussions so late. I have only tried this wine earlier tonight for the first time and the sweetness was quite prominent I thought. It made me read up a bit on a topic I know very little of and possibly the answer lies in this article of JR in which she states that temperature plays a big role in how we perceive sweetness.

It makes perfect sense as beverages do obviously taste much sweeter when served at for instance room temperature vs cold. Could it be that you tasted this after some time in the fridge?

• ChristianJune 3, 2016 at 1:21 pmReplyAuthor

Hi Bernard, I didn’t drink it particularly cool although I think this kind of wine is very much suited to being served chilled. Perhaps I was duped somewhat by the RS but I recall it as an immensely cheerful drop and that’s surely no bad thing.

2. ChristianMay 4, 2016 at 6:14 pmReplyAuthor

Hi All, Analysis as follows: Alc 13.3%, TA 5.8g/l, RS 8.64g/l and pH 3.55. Didn’t come across nearly as sweet as above would suggest.

3. TomMay 4, 2016 at 9:22 amReply

Just the wine I have been looking for. Cheers CE

4. Hennie TaljaardMay 4, 2016 at 9:00 amReply

Hi Christian, I find some versions a bit too sweet-fruited for my taste. Don’t know whether it is characteristic of the grape? So wondering whether you picked up any sweetness on this one?

• KwispedoorMay 4, 2016 at 1:00 pmReply

I’m with you, Hennie. IMHO the grape has a measure of sweetness to its character, due to the red and purple fruit profile, but if the palate shows sweetness, it’s due to winemaking decisions (like very ripe grapes leaving residual sugar after fermentation).

Though I haven’t had this wine in a while, I remember that it showed really upfront, gorgeous fruit on the nose and that we thought it was a really great buy at the price. My wife and I both wondered about the residual sugar and we found the wine quite round and unctuous on the palate (as opposed to refreshingly dry). We clearly need to taste it again, but I would be most interested in the wine’s analysis if Christian could find it for us.