De Toren Fusion V 2014

February 1, 2017
De Toren Fusion V 2014

Luxury item.

Fusion V from Stellenbosch property De Toren has a reputation for being luxuriously styled, which is to say very dense and plush, but I have to say I found the current-release 2014 less overblown than I expected.

A five-way blend dominated by Cabernet Sauvignon at 53%, it has an attractive nose of red and black fruit, attractive vanilla and oak spice but also violets and a little leafy lift. The palate is super-intense yet not entirely short of freshness, the tannins ultra-fine. You’re never going to be able to accuse the De Toren brains trust of picking too early but this wine still has life while the finish manages to be gently savoury. Immensely well crafted. Wine Cellar price: R470 a bottle.

#WinemagRating: 91/100.

Buy This Wine

Find our South African wine ratings database here.

Tagged , ,

1. Peter MayFebruary 3, 2017 at 12:15 amReply

Thanks, Christian.

2. Peter MayFebruary 1, 2017 at 11:07 pmReply

‘Still has life’? Surely it’s still a baby at not yet 3 years old? I assumed F5 was meant to age. I have a 2011 waiting, should I drink it now rather than keeping it longer?

• ChristianFebruary 2, 2017 at 9:08 amReplyAuthor

Hi Peter, “Life” in the sense that the fruit isn’t too raisined or “dead”. I recently drank the maiden vintage 1999 which was in pretty good nick for an 18 year old wine but it was interesting to note that the alcohol was 13.5% on the label (13.63% to be precise). De Toren subsequently went on to pursue a policy of picking later and later, the 2010 vintage of Fusion V for instance having an alcohol of 15%. As to when you should drink your 2011, I’d guess you still have a window of approximately five years but I’d be inclined to drink sooner rather than later…

3. JacquesFebruary 1, 2017 at 9:16 pmReply

I do consider De Toren as a cult wine in SA and in saying so I am a believer and follower of this cult wine. one thing which I like in particular is to see how since the first vintage of this wine I had 2005 and since then no vintages have been disappointing.
    I had a -redial of the 05 last year at the Ned.Auction again impressive!

4. Kevin RFebruary 1, 2017 at 7:23 pmReply

Hi Christian,

Wondering if you have info on the differences between the Black Lion vs Book 17?

Here’s to some cracker wines being released this year

• ChristianFebruary 2, 2017 at 9:33 amReplyAuthor

Hi Kevin, The Book XVII a Bordeaux-style red and Black Lion a Shiraz, the current releases both selling for R2500 a bottle from the cellar door – wine made in a very particular style and positioned as exclusive luxury good. To see how the 2013 vintage of Book XVII fared in a tasting of some of SA’s other most expensive wines, go to http://winemag.co.za/the-best-red-wine-in-south-africa/