Hermanus wine region
One of the newest wine routes in South Africa is the Hermanus WineRoute which unites wineries with a reputation for exceptional quality,small production and cool-climate wines. The route includesthree wards: Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, Upper Hemel-en-Aarde Valley and Hemel-en-Aarde Ridge.
Well-known Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are complemented with innovative blends and mineral Sauvignon Blancs ‚ leaving no palate unsatisfied. Views and culinary experiences accompany celebrated wines adding to unforgettable memories. Visit this area and experience a bit of heaven on earth.
PLACES TO EAT
- Bientangs Cave,Below Marine Drive, Hermanus; Tel 028 312 3454; www.bientangscave.com.
- Creation,Creation Estate, R320, between Caledon and Hermanus;Tel 028 212 1107; www.creationwines.com
- Harbour Rock, New harbour, Hermanus; Tel 028312-2920; www.harbourrock.co.za.
- Heaven,Newton Johnson Estate, R320, Upper Hemel-en-Aarde;Tel 021 200 2148; www.newtonjohnson.com.
- Seafood, The Marine,Marine Drive, Hermanus; Tel 028 313 1000; www.marine-hermanus.co.za.
- La Vierge, Upper Hemel-en-Aarde; Tel 028313 2007; www.lavierge.co.za.
- Grilleri,87 Marine Drive, Hermanus; Tel 028 313 1685; www.meditterea.co.za.
- Pavillion,The Marine, Marine Drive, Hermanus; Tel 028313-1000; www.marine-hermanus.co.za.
PLACES TO STAY
Hermanus is a popular holiday destination and there are a myriad options,including hotels, guesthouses, apartments, backpackers, campingand farm stays. For details visit www.hermanusaccommodation.co.za.
WHAT ELSE TO DO
- The Hermanus Wine and Food Fairtakes place every Augustat The Wine Village and was nominated as one of the 10 Best WineShows in South Africa. It celebrates the wines from Elgin to Elim, showcasinggaragistes and rounds off the experience with a gourmet foodmarquee. More than 200 different wines are available to taste, buyand ship home.
- The Whale Festival happens annually around the end ofSeptember.Whales being the other big drawcard to thearea, the town even has its own whale crier with whales generallyvisiting the area from June to November.
- Other exciting activities include 4×4 trails, abseiling, archery, canoeing, flying safaris, hiking trails, horse trails, mountain-biking, paintball, paragliding, quad-biking, sand-boarding, sea kayaking, shark diving, spa visits and tree-top slides.
- Guided Wine Tours: contact Hermanus Wine Tours www.hermanuswinetours.com
Hermanus Tourism Bureau
Tel 028 312 2629, email@example.com www.hermanus.co.za
Hermanus Wine Route
Tel083 305 7319, firstname.lastname@example.org,www.hermanuswineroute.com
HermanusWine Producers Association
Tel 073 181 9900,email@example.com
Tagged Wine Districts & Maps, Wine Route Maps