Darling wine region
An hour’s drive from Cape Town, the district is host to significant vineyard plantings influenced by nautical conditions from the Atlantic Ocean. It is the first district to be awarded full membershipof the Biodiversity Wine Initiative. Vineyards yield fruit of huge intensity and flavour resulting in award-winning wines that have taken the international and local wine scene by storm.
Warm, friendly and hospitable cellars offer complimentary tastings of excellent value wines which, together with a creative and dynamic tourism offering, in a peaceful and charming rural environment, prompts the invitation: come see for yourself why it’s called Darling!
PLACES TO EAT
- Evita se Peron;Old Darling Station,8 Arcadia Street;Tel 022492-2851;www.evita.co.za.
- Brigs Barn;Cnr Main Road and Van der Stel Street; Tel 022 492 2451.
- Cloof;Cloof Estate, off R315; Tel 022 492 2839; www.cloof.co.za.
- !Khwa ttu Restaurant; Grootwater Farm, Ysterfontein, R27; Tel 022 492 2998; www.khwattu.org.
- Hilda’s Kitchen;Groote Post Estate, Darling Hills Road; Tel 022 492 2825; www.grootepost.com.
- The Marmalade Cat;19 Main Road, Darling; Tel 022 492 2515.
- Chicory Cheese Cafe; The Mantis Mall, 3 Station Street;Tel 072 852 6644;www.chicorycheese.co.za.
PLACES TO STAY
WHAT ELSE TO DO
- Annual Wildflower Show. Darling is known as the flower of the West Coast, and the abundance of flora and natural flowers is undoubtedly its biggest asset. The wildflowers come out in spring and several reserves in the area are open for you to drive or hike through and view.
For further information, phone 022 492 3361 or visit www.darlingwildflowers.co.za.
- !Kwa ttu San Centre. This San Education and Culture Centre will take you on a journey into their history, traditional knowledge, skills, languages, customs and current affairs. This enjoyable and eye-opening event will stay with you for a long time.
For more information, contact 022 492 2998 or www.khwattu.org.
- Buffelsfontein Game and Nature Reserveoffers game drives and safaris, 4×4 routes and a bush camp.
For further information, contact 022 451 2824 or www.buffelsfontein.co.za.
- Evita se Peron offers deliciousmeals and a range of live shows hosted at the Darling Station.
For further information, contact 022 492 3930 or www.evita.co.za.
- Darling Brewis a micro-brewery that specialises in locally produced craft beers.
For more information, contact074 141 9862 or visit www.darlingbrew.co.za.
- Other exciting activities include art, flowers, golf, mountain biking, museums, nature reserves, olives, wildlife.
The Darling Wine & Art Experience
Tel 022492-3430, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.darlingtourism.co.za.
Tagged Wine Districts & Maps, Wine Route Maps