Leeuwenkuil Family Reserve White 2012

Giant slayer.

Giant slayer.

According to Platter’s 2015, Swartland winery Leeuwenkuil draws on 4 550 ha of vineyard which produce some 36 500 tons of grapes a year, resulting in some 27 million litres of wine.

Evidently some economies of scale as the Family Reserve White 2012 is knock-out. It’s a blend of 50% Chenin Blanc, 13% Roussanne, 13% Grenache Blanc, 12% Clairette Blanche and 12% Verdelho and I think it’s up there with anything the boutique operations from that part of the world are doing.

The nose shows a floral note before citrus and peach, spice and just enough waxiness. The palate is wonderfully expressive with great fruit concentration and zippy acidity. It possesses weight and texture but it’s not ponderous. And with a Wine Cellar price of R59 a bottle, it’s a complete bargain.

Score: 92/100.

Buy This Wine

Tagged , ,

1. KwispedoorJuly 22, 2015 at 10:39 amReply

Hi, Christian
    The 2013 vintage has been around for a bit – have you tasted it yet?

• ChristianJuly 22, 2015 at 11:18 amReplyAuthor

Not yet. Will attempt to review a bottle shortly. Wien Cellar still have quite a few bottles of the 2012, BTW.

2. PeterJune 8, 2015 at 9:48 pmReply

Isn’t it interesting that “you think” Spar sells it Christian? I’ve phoned the farm and they don’t know who sells their wine, either the white or the red! Perhaps winemag could do some research on telling readers where to buy the wines you review? I would certainly welcome such additional information. And I don’t just mean the normal specialized wine shops, but perhaps some of the other retailers out there. Food for thought?

• ChristianJune 9, 2015 at 7:05 amReplyAuthor

Hi Peter, I’m entirely sympathetic to the gist of your comment but unfortunately determining availability is easier said than done. Winemag.co.za has a loose affiliation with Wine Cellar and when a wine is available from here, we indicate this. In other instances, we quote cellardoor prices in order to achieve some kind of standardisation – producers tend to each have their own arcane arrangements for distribution. Regarding the Leeuwenkuil in particular, I first encountered this wine at a Tops at SPAR pre-listing tasting some time ago – I’m presuming it is now in store.

• Marthelize TredouxJune 9, 2015 at 1:39 pmReply

Hi Peter
      I think the fact that the farm itself didn’t know where you could find the wine is a pretty good indicator of how disconnected distribution can be. I’m asuming you phoned the tasting room/cellar door. They’re often very far removed from the sales and distribution side of the farm, and this relationship becomes even more complicated depending on how the estate/farm operates. Add to this the fact that a lot of Tops outlets (for example) curate their own wine stocks and selections, it can become a bit of a goose chase (in my experience).
      I’d suggest using the Wine-Searcher app or website to find wines. I find it quite accurate and it includes both boutiques as well as retail producers.
      Eg. For Leeuwenkuil in South Africa: http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/leeuwenkuil/1/south+africa

3. David ClarkeJune 7, 2015 at 9:43 amReply

Stoopid value.

4. EliasJune 5, 2015 at 11:24 amReply

Where can one buy this?

• ChristianJune 5, 2015 at 12:11 pmReplyAuthor

I think Tops at SPAR list it.

5. Hennie @ BatonageJune 5, 2015 at 10:06 amReply

These guys have rapidly become the best value for money producer in South Africa. I have still to taste a wine of theirs that I will not happily quaff by the 12 bottle case.