Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc 1994

January 6, 2014

Indestructible.

Indestructible.

To see in 2014, the 1994 vintage of Sauvignon Blanc from Stellenbosch cellar Mulderbosch. This was the third ever vintage made by the celebrated Mike Drobovic from low-yeilding bush vines featuring the “Weerstasie” clone.

It was rated 5 Stars in the 1995 edition of Platter’s which went on to describe it as “South Africa’s most celebrated Sauvignon, the Cape’s Cloudy Bay, the trend-setting yardstick”. Elsewhere in the relevant entry, Dobrovic explains that “the Cape’s warmer climate produces the body New Zealand Sauvignon sometimes lack in a cool year, without sacrificing finesse or penetration. The guide also reveals that he regarded “metopyrazine character” (sic) as “undesirable” – Mulderbosch Sauvignon Blanc supposedly not showing it as opposed to some New Zealand examples!

The 1994 had a relatively low alcohol by volume of 12.5% but still plenty of body. The wine was remarkably youthful – some depth of colour but attractively pale for its age and no hint of drabness. Still plenty of sweet green melon fruit plus a touch of “sweatiness” but this hardly to the wine’s detriment. Difficult to imagine a Sauvignon from anywhere else in the world looking as good 20 years on from vintage.

Score: 92/100.

Tagged , , , ,

1. LarryJuly 5, 2014 at 3:03 pmReply

Amazing! I suspect I still have a bottle of the ’94 in my cellar …

2. KwispedoorJanuary 13, 2014 at 11:35 amReply

Ok, I can’t lie – I’m Jancis Robinson and Rowan Atkinson’s love child.
    I’m nobody important in the wine industry, Bronwyn (but thanks – you’re very kind). Just a common wine lover that got bitten by the wine bug at a very early stage and to this day still suffers hopelessly and passionately from its sweet infection. I did hear at one stage that someone thought I was Ken Forrester – hahaha (poor guy, to be slandered like that)! So there are times that I’m inclined to keep whatever mystery there is going just for fun, but any such mystery around my identity was never really intended and I’ve always told anyone who asked. So, here’s proof (I apologize in advance for the disappointment): https://www.facebook.com/pieter.deklerk.526

• BronwynJanuary 13, 2014 at 12:57 pmReply

HaHa Pieter. Thanks for the entertainment……..maybe John Cleese and Angela Lloyd??

• KwispedoorJanuary 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm

LOL – I demand a shrubbery! I mean “old vineyard”…

3. BronwynJanuary 13, 2014 at 10:41 amReply

Always fascinated to read your comments, Mr Kwispedoor, but I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering………why so anonymous? Who are you???

4. ChristianJanuary 6, 2014 at 1:09 pmReplyAuthor

The KC 1986 was unfortunately oxidised due to a cork which failed to go the distance (thank you, Portugal). I’ve been lucky enough to taste this wine quite often over the last few years and though it definitely has a pronounced “herbal” edge, there’s usually lots of other stuff going on.

5. KwispedoorJanuary 6, 2014 at 9:47 amReply

So how was the old KC? Though it’s been many years since I’ve tasted it, that ’86 certainly had much pyrazines, especially the MIPP type.