Great as a light summer lunch.
16-24 large prawns (shell on)
200ml olive oil
2 tsp crushed garlic cloves
30ml lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Peri Peri sauce:
50g red chili
5 garlic cloves, crushed
500ml olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1. Wash the prawns in cold running water.
2. Cut open the backs and remove the dark vein but do not remove the shell.
3. Blend the red chilli, garlic, olive oil and paprika to a smooth paste.
4. Allow the prawns to marinade in the peri peri sauce for 30 minutes in the fridge.
5. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add prawns skin-side down.
6. Cook the prawns 30-45 seconds on each side.
7. Remove from the pan and serve with extra periperi sauce and lime wedges.
No wine cries out for peri peri sauce but a young, unwooded white should be feisty enough to stand up to the heat of the sauce. Bear in mind that chili will increase the perception of fruit but also the perception of alcohol so choose something appropriately light.
Tagged peri peri prawns