Antipodean Pinot Noir 2012

March 5, 2014
Alright, mate.

Alright, mate.

Antipodean Wines are made by the couple that is “Aussie bloke” Mick Craven, part of the Mulderbosch team and “South African sheila” Janine Faure, winemaker at Dornier. So far they’ve released a Pinot Noir 2012 from Stellenbosch, available at R130 a bottle from Vino Pronto in Gardens, Cape Town.

It’s got real interest without any aspirations to greatness. Black cherry, spice, some musky perfume. Good concentration, bright acidity and firm, slightly stalky tannins. If you served it to me blind and told me it was new-wave Cinsaut, I’d believe you but good drinking all in all.

Score: 85/100.

Tagged , , ,

1. JoeMarch 5, 2014 at 1:42 pmReply

I saw a tin in a cheapskate supermarket the other day that read: “Share a Coke with Bob”.

2. Bob ThompsonMarch 5, 2014 at 11:47 amReply

I have been following this blog for a while and find it tiresome, I wouldn’t be surprised if Christian couldn’t differentiate between Pinot Noir and Cinsaut. BTW, we don’t care what you drank last night mate!

• ChristianMarch 5, 2014 at 12:02 pmReplyAuthor

Hi Bob, Easy solution. Stop following this blog.

• MMMarch 5, 2014 at 12:12 pmReply

Fools don’t always notice their own foolishness, do they?

• Hennie @ BatonageMarch 5, 2014 at 12:56 pmReply

Christian you should really take the pistol you are holding to Bob the troll’s head away and let him browse other websites.

• KwispedoorMarch 5, 2014 at 5:32 pmReply

So someone doesn’t care what someone else drank last night. Even so, he then continues to read an article about what that person drank last night. To put the cherry on the cake (not sure if it’s a Pinot or a Cinsaut cherry), he then takes the time to try and put down someone else’s well-intended efforts (usually indicates a tiny penis). It takes a special kind of stupid arrogance, doesn’t it? Must be an Australian…

• Mick @ AntipodeanMarch 6, 2014 at 8:19 am

Thanks Christian for having a peak at our wine and giving feedback. Much appreciated! Thank you Kwispedoor for insinuating, for some asinine reason, that it must be an Aussie (presumably me?) who wrote that comment….

• KwispedoorMarch 6, 2014 at 11:38 am

I think it’s Nietzsche who said something like, “And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.”…

No, Mick, I did not insinuate that at all. My aim was elsewhere: I was probably smarting from the hiding we took from the Aussie cricket team in our own backyard, or something. Most South Africans love to hate Aussie sports teams, partly because they are so bloody good and partly because the effect some generally unlikable and arrogant characters (Warner, Gregan, Waugh, etc.) generally – and sadly – leave, is more lingering than that of the likable ones (Horan, Clarke, Gilchrist, Eales, etc.) I guess that was the source of my Aussie swipe.

I’m not trying to make an excuse for that last sentence from my first comment, though, it’s clearly stupid and I apologize to you and all Aussies out there – except for Bob. That’ll teach me to engage with a troll.

I stand by the first bit that I wrote though. For that, Julius Malema will probably take exception and write in to say that one shouldn’t make fun of people who was born with body parts that they can’t do anything about. And he’d be right for the first time in his life and I’ll have to apologize again. I suppose there’s no good excuse for any nastiness after all…