Boekenhoutskloof Syrah 2014
By Christian Eedes, 24 October 2016
Boekenhoutskloof acquired two Swartland properties (Porseleinberg and Goldmine) a few years ago and these supply 60% of the fruit for the 2014 vintage of the cellar’s acclaimed Syrah, the traditional Wellington vineyard the remaining 40%.
Fermentation occurs spontaneously in concrete tanks while maturation lasts some 18 months in a combination of 600-litre barrels and 2 500-litre foudres. The nose of the 2014 shows red and black fruit, some floral perfume and scrub but also some smokiness, black olive and earth. It’s rich and dense on the palate – just enough acidity, fine tannins, the finish long and savoury. A very polished offering.
Find our South African wine ratings database here.