Kershaw triumphs in benchmark Chardonnay tasting
By Christian Eedes, 20 September 2018
News from Richard Kershaw Wines in Elgin is that some of its wines showed exceptionally well in a benchmark tasting held in the Netherlands recently. Winemaker Kershaw paired up with Job de Swart MW for the so-called Judgement of Amsterdam to showcase top Chardonnays from around the world. 50+ wine professionals were invited to judge, including Weinakademiker, Dutch Sommeliers Guild members and journalists. The following wines were tasted:
1. Piuze, Chablis Grand Cru, Bougros 2015 (FR)
2. Château Montelena, Napa Valley, Chardonnay 2014 (US)
3. Richard Kershaw, Elgin, Selection, Chardonnay 2016 (SA)
4. Ramey, Russian River Valley, Ritchie Vineyard 2014 (US)
5. Isole e Olena, Toscana, Chardonnay 2016 (IT)
6. Jean Chartron, Meursault, Les Pierres 2015 (FR)
7. Dry River, Martinborough, Chardonnay 2017 (NZ)
8. Ocean Eight, Mornington Peninsula, Verve, Chardonnay 2015 (AUS)
9. Bernhard Huber, Baden, Alte Reben, Chardonnay 2015 (GER)
10. Sylvain Langoureau, Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru, La Garenne 2016 (FR)
11. Clos d’Opleeuw, Haspengouw, Chardonnay 2016 (BEL)
12. Kershaw, Elgin, Deconstructed, Bokkeveld Shale CY95, Chardonnay 2016 (SA)
The 2016 Kershaw Deconstructed Lake District Bokkeveld Shale CY95 was the judges’ top choice, with 2016 Kershaw Elgin Chardonnay placing second ahead of Sylvain Langoureau, Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru, La Garenne in third place.
Like our content?
Show your support.