Rijk’s Private Cellar Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2009

By , 2 July 2014



The Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2009 from Rijk’s in Tulbagh is flashy stuff. 40% of the wine was fermented in tank and the other 60% was fermented in a combination of new and used French and Hungarian oak, partly spontaneous fermentation and maturation lasting 11 months.

You’ll find lemon, yellow peach and a pronounced but not unattractive leesy character on nose and palate. The wine is rich and thick textured – sweet on entry but possessing a quinine-like bitterness on the finish. It just about hangs together but it’s for those who want to be ravished rather than romanced. Price: R113.99 from Liquor City Claremont.

Score: 88/100.


0 comment(s)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Like our content?

Show your support.