Recipe: Carrot salad with apple & celery
By Christian Eedes, 5 December 2017
A great accompaniment to a braai.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Carrot salad recipe ingredients
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 bunch celery, washed and finely sliced
- 15g parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 apples, washed, cored and finely sliced
- 1 tsp (5ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15ml) honey
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 5g parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Combine all salad ingredients into a bowl and toss together.
- Place mustard, honey and lemon juice into a bowl and whisk together until combined. Slowly add olive oil, while continuing to whisk, stir in the parsley.
- Season dressing with salt and pepper and drizzle over salad.
- Serve as a light lunch or as an accompaniment to braaied meat.
This salad will pair well with pork – think marinated spare ribs or honey-glazed loin. The caramelized flavours that develop during cooking call for a moderate amount of sweetness in the wine and an off-dry Riesling or Chenin Blanc are both good choices. For the red wine drinker, the key is a fruit-forward wine with moderate alcohol and low tannin – new-wave Cinsaut or Grenache are good options.
Like our content?
Show your support.