Recipe: Chilli con carne
By Christian Eedes, 17 November 2020
A Tex-Mex classic that’s great for winter entertaining.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Chilli con carne recipe ingredients
- 400g red kidney beans, soaked in cold water overnight
- 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground coriander
- 2 tsp (10ml) cayenne pepper
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) tomato passata
- 2 tbsp (30ml) milk
- salt and pepper
How to cook dried red kidney beans
- Drain the red kidney beans and rinse well under cold running water.
- Place beans in a pot and cover with double the amount of water.
- Bring beans to a simmer and allow to cook for 1-1 ½ hours or until soft (but not mushy).
- Remove from heat, strain and set aside.
- To save time you can use tinned red kidney beans. Rinse the beans before use.
For the chilli con carne
- Heat olive oil in a heavy based saucepan and gently fry onions, garlic, celery, carrots and leeks for a few minutes or until soft.
- Add ground cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper and continue to fry for a few more minutes or until fragrant.
- Add mince and brown well.
- Add tomato passata and milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in red kidney beans, cover and allow to cook on a low heat for 1 ½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with tacos or nachos and guacamole.
The chilli in this dish will increase the perception of fruit but also the perception of alcohol. You also want to avoid a wine with too much tannin as this will conflict with the assertiveness of the dish. Go for a fruity, fleshy red like a Cinsault or lighter Pinotage.
Like our content?
Show your support.