Recipe: Pea soup with watercress & coppa ham
By Christian Eedes, 8 August 2018
A light and refreshing pea soup that can be served hot or cold.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Pea soup with watercress & sauvignon blank recipe ingredients
1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 cups (1l) chicken or vegetable stock
500g peas, fresh or frozen
¼ cup (60ml) sour cream
60g watercress, washed
100g coppa ham
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and gently sauté onion, potatoes and garlic for a few minutes or until onions are soft.
- Chop 50g of the coppa ham, add to onions and sauté for a few more minutes or until golden. Add stock and bring to the boil. Add peas and simmer with the lid on for about 8-10 minutes. Do not over cook or soup will lose its bright green colour.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream and watercress. Blend the soup until smooth and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and fry the remaining coppa ham slices until crispy and golden brown.
Serve hot or cold garnished with crispy coppa ham on top.
A crisp dry white wine will pair best with this soup – sauvignon blanc, in particular, will complement the “green” flavours of the dish. We recommend the Boschendal Appellation Series Elgin Sauvignon Blanc 2017.
- Recipe supplied by Source Food – a Cape Town-based food agency that specializes in experiential marketing. They will create a recipe or meal to communicate your brand’s message.