Recipe: Cape Malay chicken curry
By Christian Eedes, 22 August 2017
Serve with basmati rice and sambals.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Cape Malay chicken curry recipe ingredients
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30ml) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tsp (10ml) coriander
- 2 tsp (10ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5ml) turmeric
- 1 tbsp (15ml) garam masala
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken stock or water
- 600g chicken pieces
- ½ cup (125ml) coconut milk or plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp (30ml) chutney
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
squeeze of lemon juice
10g fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté onion, garlic, chilli and ginger for about 2 minutes. Add coriander, cumin, turmeric and garam masala and fry for further few minutes to release their flavours. Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and cook, covered, for 20-30 minutes, or until cooked through. Stir in the coconut milk and chutney. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve curry with basmati rice and sambals. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
This dish will work well with a white wine that has some residual sugar, a more full bodied Chenin Blanc an ideal match. Dare we say it, an IPA from your favourite craft brewer will also do the job.