Recipe: Cassoulet with pork sausage & haricot beans
By Christian Eedes, 5 July 2017
A cheat version of this classic French stew.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Cassoulet recipe ingredients
- 400g dried haricot beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 125g bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 250g pork chipolates
- 4 x tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 10g fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) white wine
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh breadcrumbs
Dried haricot beans
- Drain haricot beans and rinse well with cold water.
- Place beans in a small saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and then reduce heat to a simmer, allowing the beans to cook for about an hour or until tender. Add more water if necessary to keep the beans covered.
- Remove the beans from the heat once cooked, drain and set aside until needed.
Prepare the stew
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat olive oil in a casserole pan over medium heat and fry bacon, garlic, onion, celery and carrots, until soft and translucent. Add sausages and fry for a few more minutes or until golden brown. Add wine and simmer for a few minutes before adding stock, tomatoes, thyme and beans. Simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes or until crumbs are crisp and golden.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Like our content?
Show your support.