Recipe: Potato bake with celeriac & cream
By Christian Eedes, 27 August 2020
This twist on a classic South African potato bake works great on its own or as a side dish to a roast.
This recipe serves 4 people.
Potato bake recipe ingredients
- 3 potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 celeriac, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp (5ml) whole grain mustard
- 2 cups (500ml) cream
- 60g cheddar cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Layer the potatoes, celeriac, onion and garlic in a buttered casserole dish, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go.
- Stir the mustard into the cream and pour over potatoes.
- Top with grated cheese and place in oven for 45-50 minutes or until soft and golden.
Serve warm as an accompaniment to lamb, chicken or fish.
If you’re eating this as a dish in its own, then appreciate that it’s comfort food which doesn’t really make any demands of a wine. You could look to match the texture of what’s on the plate with what’s in the glass and here a medium-bodied wooded Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc will work well. Alternatively, an off-dry Riesling will have both the freshness to cut through the dish’s creaminess and the sweetness to offset its saltiness.